Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Law of the LORD


They [the Gentiles] show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, GOD judges the secrets of men by CHRIST JESUS. Romans 2:15-16 ESV

I heard a great line in church Sunday.  Paraphrasing the pastor, “how can we expect children to follow a bunch of rules if the LORD isn’t in their heart?”  Said another way, the law of the LORD needs to be written upon their heart so their actions flow from within (their heart) versus outward activity but no inward anchor.

But how does one write the law of the LORD upon their heart?  And what is the law of the LORD?  Or is it The Law? The first five books of the Old Testament are normally called The Law.  So obeying The Law, is that what Romans is talking about?  The Law is a summation of how our actions should be towards GOD and towards one another?  It's a lot of stuff to be writing upon my heart.  I can barely remember my passwords and alarm codes.  How can I remember all that?

The first five books list a bunch of “thou shalls” and “thou shall nots.”  But it’s more than that.  Paul says in Romans 13 Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law (verse 8 ESV)… Love does no wrong to a neighbor, therefore love is the fulfilling of the law (verse 10 ESV).

Love.  Love?  Love is the fulfillment of the law?  Or The Law?  JESUS—GOD’s beloved SON.  The GLORY of GOD.  HE came.  HE died.  He rose again.  Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of CHRIST, so that you may belong to another, to HIM who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for GOD (Romans 7:4 ESV).

How do I teach my children to live a life with the law of GOD written upon their heart?  Living it?  That is an action.  Loving others?  Another action.  Loving those who hate me?  Who wrong me?  Once again actions—ones I do not instinctively do.  Actions I would rather not do.  But JESUS in dying on a cross forgave those who put HIM there, forgave out of love.  Forgiving those who wrong me?  Maybe it’s a start, down a road of loving those who hate me.  A start of having GOD’s law written upon my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment