Wednesday, March 28, 2012

About an odd man who loved his wife

Come, and let us return unto JEHOVAH; for HE hath torn, and HE will heal us; HE hath smitten, and HE will bind us up.  After two days will HE revive us: on the third day HE will raise us up, and we shall live before HIM. Hosea 6:1-2 ASV

Does anyone else think Hosea is an odd book?  Granted, he’s not as nutty as Ezekiel.  On the days when I feel like I’m losing my mind, Ezekiel is an excellent book to read.  “At least I’m not as crazy as he was.”

But Hosea, what about him?  The LORD calls him as a prophet.  He cries out, “Destruction is coming, Destruction is coming!”  And does GOD leave it at that?  Mere words?  A warning?

No.  GOD does what HE always does.  He takes it farther.  “Hosea, let me use you as an object lesson.”  Hmm, sure… okay?

When the LORD began to speak through Hosea, the LORD said to him, “Go, marry a promiscuous woman and have children with her, for like an adulterous wife this land is guilty of unfaithfulness to the LORD.”  Hosea 1:2 NIV

The LORD tells him to marry a ‘worldly’ woman?  And what does Hosea do?  Obeys.  Did he lecture her?  Make her realize the errors of her ways?  Condemn her?  “Only I could love you because GOD told me to.”  No.  Hosea loved his wife—even when she ran away.  He paid for her.  Heartbreak and fifteen pieces of silver along with some grain.  Why would GOD tell Hosea to do this?  Why would Hosea obey?

Come, and let us return unto JEHOVAH; for HE hath torn, and HE will heal us; HE hath smitten, and HE will bind us up.  After two days will HE revive us: on the third day HE will raise us up, and we shall live before HIM. Hosea 6:1-2 ASV

Did Hosea somehow understand the depth of love GOD has for us?  GOD loves HIS people--I preach that all the time.  Even when Israel left HIM, HE still loved them.  And today, when we leave HIM?  HE still loves us.  HIS desire is for all of us to come back.

The LORD is not slow in keeping HIS promise, as some understand slowness.  Instead HE is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.  2 Peter 3:9 NIV

As Easter approaches, what can I take from this text?  I take that I will never understand the depth of love GOD has for us.  For me.  But some days, I think I catch a glimpse.

No comments:

Post a Comment