Monday, March 12, 2012

Forgiveness, how about I only do it when I'm in the wrong?

Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. I Peter 4:8 NASB

From now until Easter I wanted to focus only on resurrection verses.  But as I thought on the resurrection, it dawned on me to write on forgiveness.  After all, JESUS defeated death but if HE chose not to forgive us, it would be curtains for us, right?  So here I go, delving into a topic I love in theory but don’t like to practice.

Forgiveness: when I’m in the wrong, I support it fully.  I preach it, teach it and beg for it.  I really want to experience it from the one I have wronged.  And it is so sweet and freeing when it is extended to me.

But what about when I’m in the right?  Do I extend forgiveness to those who wronged me?  Unfortunately, not so often.  So I’m in the right, and GOD calls me to forgive?  My reaction?  I pull a Jonah and run the other way.  I haven’t been swallowed by a big fish (yet) but I extended forgiveness kicking and screaming the entire way.

Maybe one day I’ll grow up.  When I’m in the right, and someone else has wronged me, GOD will call me to forgive and I’ll willingly forgive.  No complaints.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.  No letting GOD know how much it pains me to let go of my rightness.  HE calls me to forgive, I obey.  Sounds easy?  I pray one day it will be.  But I’m not there, yet.

LORD, that you for the gift of forgiveness.  Thank YOU for letting us experience it from YOU and I pray we will learn to extend it to others, quickly and completely

No comments:

Post a Comment