Monday, March 26, 2012

Considering the Cost or Maybe Not

Don’t you know that all who share in CHRIST JESUS by being baptized also share in HIS death?  When we were baptized, we died and were buried with CHRIST.  We were baptized, so that we would live a new life, as CHRIST was raised to life by the glory of GOD the Father.  Romans 6:3-4 CEV

My seven year old was baptized Sunday.  A joyous time.  A time to celebrate.  A time of new beginnings because the road she has chosen is long and narrow… few find it, few stay on it.

I hold tight to believer’s baptism.  The choice to follow CHRIST—each person must decide for themselves.  But as I think on believer’s baptism, I wonder, “can a child truly decide to become a disciple of CHRIST?”  The choice is lasting and the stakes are high… so GOD leaves the choice to a child?  How is that possible?

But I would never deny my child, or any child, the choice to love GOD.  The opportunity to tell all, “I have decided to follow JESUS.”  But how much can she understand?  How much does she know?  It is an important decision, can a seven year old even consider the cost?  The cost of discipleship?

And then she hands me a prayer-poem she has written.  She says she forgets to pray and wrote this to hang on her wall as a reminder. 

LORD, I pray forever, even when I am Blue
YOU are my LORD my Savior
YOU’re with me every day
When I’m sad YOU wipe away my tears
When I’m mad you calm me down
When I come up with YOU, I’ll worship YOU FOREVER.
Amen

JESUS said "Permit the children to come to ME; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of GOD belongs to such as these.  Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of GOD like a child shall not enter it at all." (Mark 10:14-15 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment